My husband loves pot roast! This recipe has never failed me, the meat is always tender and flavorful! Leftovers the next day are even better! It's an inexpensive and healthy meal perfect for a cold autumn night!
You will need:
Chuck roast 2-3 lbs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cup beef stock or broth
1 tsp dried thyme
2 dried bay leaves
½ cup red cooking wine
Salt and pepper
1 onion sliced
3-4 potatoes quartered
2 carrots cut in pieces ~3” long
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put oil in pan over med/high heat, salt and pepper the roast and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- In roasting dish, place sliced onions.
- Combine broth, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and cooking wine in a bowl.
- Put roast on top of onions and then pour broth mixture over it.
- Cover and bake for 11/2-2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots, and bake for another hour uncovered, basting occasionally.