Thursday, November 3, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

In my quest to start using more natural cleaning products I finally decided to try homemade laundry detergent.  I found an amazing recipe that works great, is easy to make and is very inexpensive.
1.        Ingredients:

Borax 20 Mule Team
Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
Bar of soap (Ivory, Fels-Naptha, Zote) 

2.        Shave soap:



Shave the bar of soap into a mixing bowl.  I use Zote laundry soap.  Because it is a larger bar, I use one half of the bar for this recipe.

3.        Add ingredients:



Add 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda to the shaved soap.

4.        Mix ingredients:

Mix thoroughly until smooth.  Or shake it in it’s container.  You could also put in a food processor to grind it up smaller.   I have tried it both ways and don’t really have a preference.

That is all there is to it!!

Use 1 tablespoon per load, if load is extra soiled use 2 tablespoons.  Each batch yields approximately 32 ounces, which equates to between 32-64 loads based on how many Tbsp used per load. 

Disclaimer:  HE front loader users should research before trying this detergent.  It is a low suds detergent and I have been told it's safe to use, but I do not have a HE front loader. 



This will fill up a quart mason jar.  You could store it in any container.   You could also make several batches at one time and store it in a 5 gallon bucket.  It would last a while and wouldn’t need to made again for a long time.



Cost analysis:

·  1 – 55 ounce box of Arm & Hammer® Super Washing Soda = $3.15
·  1 – 76 ounce box of 20 Mule Team® Borax = $4.29
·  1 – 1 bar of Zote Laundry soap = .99 cents

This price would buy you one large container non-brand name detergent.  With this homemade method you get a lot more detergent.  I have been very happy with using it, you will be too.

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely switch to this when I run out of my name brand stuff!

    ReplyDelete