Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cushaw Bread

My husband has always talked about cushaw bread and asked me to make it for him.  The only problem was, we had no idea what a cushaw was!  Every farmers market or roadside market we went to we would look for one, but never could seem to find any, until this year when a friend told me her dad grew them!  I was very excited to solve the mystery and finally make the bread for my husband!  I knew he was going to think I was the best!  The recipe turned out great and it is a wonderful fall treat! The cushaws make a nice decoration in the kitchen, too!

1.       Ingredients:

2/3 c shortening or lard*
2 2/3 c sugar
4 eggs
2 c crushed cushaw
2/3 c water
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 1/3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
2/3 c raisins
2/3 c chopped nuts

      *We have been reading about how lard is surprisingly a healthier option.  We are looking into making our own     lard.  We will keep you posted. 
2.       Prepare Cushaw

 Slice off the outer layer.   

Scoop out the seeds.  


Then cut into large cubes and put into a large pot with some water in the bottom of the pan. 


I cook with a lid on the pot and the burner on low/medium until the pieces are tender.  Then I mash them up with a potato masher. 

I cook the whole thing at once and put away the excess in the freezer in 2 cup increments.    Then I can pull it out when I get ready to make the bread and it is already measured out for me. 

3.       Combine: 


Cream shortening and sugar.  Add eggs, water and pumpkin or cushaw.  Sift in dry ingredients. Stir in nuts and raisins.

4.       Bake


 Divide the batter in half.  I refrigerate the 2nd half and make another loaf the next day.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a loaf pan.  (I add wax paper to the loaf pan if I am going to serve it outside of the dish.)


5.       Serve

I think it is even better served after it sits a day or two.  Sadly, it doesn't usually last that long at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment