Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Amish Baked Oatmeal

This is a new addition to my breakfast recipes and the whole family loves it!! You can make it so many different ways! It's easy and healthy too! Everyone cleans their bowls when I make it and the house smells amazing!


Basic Ingredients

1/3 cup butter

2 large eggs

3/4 cup brown sugar (I have started using only 1/2 cup and it's just as good)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk (I like to use buttermilk)

3 cups regular oatmeal

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Melt butter and set aside to cool a bit.

3. Combine eggs, brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon or nutmeg, and salt until there aren't any        lumps.

4. Add milk, oatmeal, and then butter and stir well.
    If you can, let it sit for 30 minutes or so, but it's NOT essential.

5. Pour into greased baking dish and bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until set in the middle.

6. Serve into bowls with warm milk poured on top.



I really like to add fruit to this recipe and that gives it so much versatility! You can arrange fresh blueberries, peaches, or apples (apples and nutmeg taste just like autumn) on the bottom before you pour the mixture in. I also stir into the mixture more of whatever fruit I'm using. I want to try it with maple extract instead of vanilla too! 

The chickens love leftovers too!

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I love baked oatmeal and have a good recipe, but will be trying this one also. I just printed it out. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    Oatmeal is a staple in this house. I will be trying your recipe, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    Okay, I've tried your Amish Baked Oatmeal. It was delicious, everyone in the house loved it. We used fresh blueberries as our fruit, next time I will use peaches.
    In the next day or so, I'm going to post a little something on my blog about your recipe for the oatmeal and refer everyone to your blog for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I made this today with bananas and substituted the sugar for maple syrup... Amazing!! Glad you like the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete