Monday, April 16, 2012

Sweet Violet Jelly on Buttermilk Biscuits

From thenerdyfarmwife.com

Did that get your curiosity piqued? And yes, it is just as delicious as it sounds (and looks)!! I made my very first batch of homemade jelly using fresh violets from our very own yard (weeds are our first crops to grow here at the homestead if you didn't know) and it was so good! I have dreams of heading out each spring with the little ones, carrying baskets, as we all pick violets for this springtime tradition, sigh. Of course, this year it did not go that way as I alternately bent down to pick flowers and chased my 15 month old son around as he tried to climb the horse fence and eat rocks, then I knocked my collection of picked flowers over once (but I didn't cry as I tried to retrieve them from the grass!). Nevertheless, it will become a time honored Williams tradition, even if it's not picture perfect! I think it will be so nice to have a jar or two tucked away for those winter days when we have cabin fever and long for the first hints of spring!

Aren't they pretty?

So here's the recipe... found at thenerdyfarmwife.com. She has some amazing things there, so head on over to check it out!

2-3 cups loosely packed violet blooms
juice from one large lemon
2 1/2 cups boiling water
1 package Sure-Jell pectin
3 1/2 cups sugar
*You'll also need mason jars and lids (I used 5 8 oz) and a pot big enough to submerge them under at least an inch of water for the water bath (I didn't know that ahead of time and it resulted in a panicked call to Melissa! I wasn't able to seal the jars so I just kept them in the fridge and gave several away. Next time, next time!!)

DIRECTIONS

1. Pour boiling water over the violet blooms, cover, and let steep for 24 hours.
2. Strain the liquid (which is a beautiful dark blue) and add the lemon juice to it. It will turn a pretty pink color at this point.
3. In a medium saucepan, mix the pectin with the violet/lemon liquid and bring to a boil. Boil for a minute and then add the sugar.
4. Continue to stir until it boils again for one minute.
5. Remove from heat and pour into your clean and tempered mason jars.
6. Place the jars in the water bath and boil for 5 minutes. Let the jelly set for a couple days and then enjoy!!

For the Buttermilk Biscuits...

Combine 2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour with 1 tbsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Add in 6 tbsp cold butter cut into small pieces and 1 cup buttermilk. Using a pastry cutter and combine until a dough forms. Knead briefly and then form balls and flatten them a little. Place on a baking sheet into a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake until beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes.
(You can make more work by rolling out the dough and cutting into round biscuit shapes, but I just never have the time. This way works just fine for us!)
I can't wait for the day we have our own sweet Jersey cow (Annabelle will be her name I just know it!) and I can make fresh buttermilk!! This biscuit recipe is from food.com.

3 comments:

  1. I was a lucky recipient of this jelly and I have to say that it was wonderful. I had it on my toast this morning and enjoyed it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of violet jelly, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out! :) I'm glad you had violet jelly success! I agree that it will be lovely to pull out in the middle of winter to give a much needed little taste of spring. Also, those biscuits look quite yummy!

    :) Jan (thenerdyfarmwife)

    ReplyDelete