This recipe is so easy and uses ingredients that are always stocked in my kitchen. In twenty minutes or so you'll have delicious, hot scones for breakfast! Once you get the basic recipe down, you can experiment with all sorts of flavors!
2 cups all purpose flour (spooned into measuring cup)
1 tbsp baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup heavy cream (you can use 1/2 and 1/2 or milk...whatever is on hand)
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Mix together dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
3. Cut butter into small chunks and set in dry mixture. Put in refrigerator.
4. Mix egg, cream, and vanilla in small bowl and put in refrigerator too.
6. Take out both bowls, add liquid mixture to dry, and use pastry cutter to combine.
|Yes it really is that dark in my kitchen...no windows. Someday I'll have my new kitchen with natural light!!|
7. Once batter is pretty well combined (there will be some flour mixture at the bottom of bowl still), use your hands to knead for a minute or two until smoother.
8. You can roll to dough out and use a small cookie cutter (I never have the time for that!) or shape it into balls (makes about 7 or 8).
9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are beginning to brown and the bottoms are a little crispy.
10. I also like to drizzle a little sweetened condensed milk on top... so good!
|This close up makes it look enormous...it's really not that big, haha.|
*This morning I used 1/2 tsp maple extract instead of vanilla and it was delicious! I've also used coconut extract and shredded coconut, almond extract with almond pieces, dried cranberries with lemon extract, 4 tsp cocoa instead of cinnamon... the sky's the limit! Enjoy!