These scones are delicious!! This breakfast treat is so easy to make and I think it is my (and my family's) new favorite scone recipe!! Enjoy!!
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp cold, unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder,salt, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Set cold butter pieces on top of the mixture.
3. In a small bowl slightly beat cream, egg yolk, and vanilla. Then add into dry mixture.
4. Using a pastry cutter, combine all the ingredients until a dough forms. Use floured hands to knead the dough a few times and form a ball.
5. Flatten the ball into a disk about 3/4" think and then slice into wedges. Place on sheet evenly spaced and brush the tops with a little more cream. (Note: The second time I made these, the dough was too wet to knead and form, so i just spooned it onto the baking sheet in mounds. It turned out just as tasty! So don't worry too much if the consistency isn't perfect, it's better for them to be too moist than dry!)
6. Bake the scones until they begin to turn golden brown, 15 minutes or so.
7. Combine all the icing ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle or coat the tops of the scones after they've cooled (about 10 minutes).
(Recipe is from familyfun.go.com)